Thursday, December 11, 2008

Letter from Terri Lancaster to Lisa Marshall (Henrico School Board)

December 9, 2008

Lisa Marshall
Henrico County School Board
Tuckahoe District

Good Morning,

My name is Terri Lancaster and I am a resident of Oldhouse Run subdivision off Pemberton Road. I am writing to you today to express my extreme displeasure with the high school redistricting options that are now on the table for our children for 2010.

According to the maps that will be made public on December 22 the corridor along Pemberton Road could be divided into 3 high school zones. Our neighborhood, along with Rockstone, Gates Head, Spring Tree and Pinedale Farms have been a community for over 25 years. We are not just census numbers on a map. We are tired of being shuffled around from school zone to school zone to accommodate the overcrowding in the far west end.

We chose to move here 12 years ago because it wasn’t crowded and the schools were the best. Why should we have to be pushed to a school that is clearly inferior in all categories from the one we have been zoned to since our neighborhood was built in the early 1980s.

Last year I attended a meeting at Byrd Middle School along with many other parents and the redistricting process was discussed. We were assured by you, Ms. Marshall, that the public would be kept abreast of the process every step of the way. In my opinion being kept abreast of the process means having input about where my children attend school. I do not feel that 24 people who know nothing about our neighborhood are qualified to decide their fate.

We had several parents apply to be members of the committee so that our voice would be heard but none of them were selected. One of these individuals was never even acknowledged as an applicant. Is this a fair process?

Our neighborhood (census tract number 0620819) has been slated to move to J.R. Tucker on 3 of the 4 proposals that remain on the table. Godwin is not an option at all. Our school of 20+ years has been totally taken away from us without any input from our neighborhood. This is totally unacceptable. I am adamantly opposed to my children being rezoned to Tucker High School.

I have been keeping myself informed of this process from the very beginning and am aware of all of the meetings and how the process is supposed to work. I am attending the meetings and will continue to voice my opinion. I also am aware of the public hearings that will be coming in January and will be in attendance. I would also like to think that the public hearings will matter but I have my doubts.

Please let the record state that the residents of 9601 January Way oppose being moved to J.R. Tucker High School.

Sincerely,

Terri Lancaster
9601 January Way
Oldhouse Run Subdivision

No comments: