Monday, December 22, 2008

Letter from Scott & Kim Kerr

Ladies and Gentlemen;

My husband and I were in attendance of the high school sub committee meeting at Wilder Middle School on December 17th. Our concern is that our neighborhood, Oldhouse Run (Census Tract # 0620819) which currently falls within the Godwin school zone is being moved out of that zone on the current maps.

We hope that you will kindly consider keeping our neighborhood and the entire Pemberton Corridor within the Godwin boundaries.

I have a better understanding of the process after attending the meeting, and think that over all, everyone was trying to do the right thing. I also gathered that one of your goals was to minimize the amount of disruption, by only moving the boundaries that are deemed neccessary.

To meet those intentions of the redistricting project by minimizing the amount ofchange, I think that to move our neighborhood from its current school, just to move another one in, you are, in actuality, disrupting two communities. Since Godwin is not currently at capacity, it would be less disruptive to move those on the boundaries fringe into Godwin district and keeping all those already within the boundaries where they are now zoned.

The Pemberton Corridor, according to the census numbers, has 106 high school students, that is roughly 26 students per grade. Please reconsider your lines and allow these kids to stay at their school. Many of our children enjoy the continuity of the strings, band and choral programs as well as the athletics from Byrd to Godwin. The relationships with kids they play football and baseball with, serve in student government and have classes together, are important to them. It is imperative to them to remain at Godwin and finish high school with these friends.

I know you may not hear it often, but my husband and I appreciate the time and effort all of the volunteers have dedicated to this process. I know it is a huge task and I know that everyone will not be happy with all of the results. I just hope that you will hear our plea to allow our small group of kids to remain at Godwin, where they belong. It just makes sense.

Thank You,

Warm regards,

Scott and Kim Kerr
Census Tract # 0620819

1 comment:

Jeff said...

Response from Lisa Marshall...

Dear Ms Kerrs,

Thank you for copying me on your email. You and your neighbors along the Pemberton corridor have done an excellent job participating in the process and voicing your thoughts. I am awaiting the first round of the committees proposed maps to be posted on the HCPS website tomorrow afternoon when I will see them for the first time. I hope you and your neighbors will attend the public input session in January (3 dates) which I am attending. I have received many many emails from the Pemberton corridor and have heard the collective voice. Thank you also for discussing the redistricting process during our phone conversation. I hope you at least feel better about the process we put in place. And more than anything, I hope you are able to enjoy the holidays in spite of your concern regarding the redistricting. I am in town during the holidays. Please feel free to call me at 385-9822. I will be checking my email and voice mail daily.

Sincerely,
Lisa Marshall