Monday, February 2, 2009

Letter from Kim Kerr (January 30)

Dear Mrs. Marshall,

I attended the high school sub committee meeting on January 22, 2009, at Hermitage High School. I understand the committee has now narrowed the field of high school maps down to two. These two maps still do not offer our community an option to stay at our current high school, Godwin. I am still hopeful that when the feeder patterns are added into the mix, we will then, see an option for the Pemberton Corridor to remain at Godwin High School.

On a positive note, I did overhear one committee member say that although Map C was not favored at the community forums, it did offer many feasible options for change. I am optimistic that with a portion of the Pemberton Corridor (2 neighborhoods on the Southern end of Pemberton) zoned for Godwin in Map C, it could be an easy move on this map, to unite the remainder of our corridor, and allow us to remain at Godwin High School (approximately 80 additional students). I am hopeful that our communities' collective voice has been heard and that we may at least have one map option to stay at Godwin High School, since we have been part of its family for over 25 years.

I also wanted to mention that although the community feedback was shared with the sub committee members in the form of printed charts and tables, it did not seem to have an impact on the map choices which moved forward, nor was it discussed at length or were there any changes made to the current maps using the information. I am hopeful that will happen at the next round of meetings, because, if it is not, then it was a useless exercise and a waste of the community’s time and efforts.

I participated in the Feedback Committee Forum at Wilder Middle School. Time was an issue and it was handled by letting each person report only the information that was different from the comments already submitted by previous feed back representatives. I felt that this skewed the results by weighting a single comment made by one person as important as a comment heard from two hundred people. I am curious if by collecting the notes, the data will be analyzed and culminated into a report that would accurately identify where most concerns lie with the county's citizens.

Thank you for your continued support and advice. I know that Oldhouse Run and the Pemberton Corridor were voicing concerns very early on in this process. At present, many other communities are now involved as well. I realize that can make for an even more complicated process, which could possibly result with many communities disappointed. I only want to reiterate our cause, and press upon those of you with a voice in this matter, the school board and volunteer members on the community committee, to keep the Pemberton Corridor's concerns in mind as movements to the final maps are made.

Sincerely,

Kim Kerr
Oldhouse Run

1 comment:

Jeff said...

Response from Lisa Marshall:

Dear Ms. Kerr:

Thank you for your email regarding the high school redistricting options voted on at the last subcommittee meeting and for your questions regarding the process. I am certain that one of the subcommittee members will address those issues as they were in attendance at the meeting. As you know I have heard from many of your neighbors echoing your views and concerns and I am glad that so many citizens along the Pemberton corridor are participating in this process. I cannot speak as to what specifically occurred at the last subcommittee meetings as you know school board members do not attend those meetings so as to not interfere with the redistricting committees work. However, I will share with you a couple observations I have made along the way. This redistricting process does afford citizens more input than they have ever had in a redistricting process before. Over the past few days I found that it helps me to look at phases of the process rather than individual meetings. I think the second proposed plans put forth in March resulting from the current phase or series of meetings will look different than the plans voted on at the subcommittee’s last meeting. I am also keeping in mind that this community input portion of the redistricting is a part of the school board’s redistricting process. When the redistricting committee presents its recommendations to the school board in May the school board will have the opportunity to review and revise the plans as well. The boundaries will be set when the school board votes. I look at this redistricting community based process as the best of both worlds in that you really do have extensive opportunity to weigh in and voice your objectives while the proposed boundary lines are being drawn and then you still have the review by your school board representative as you have always had in the past. Please know that I hear the voice from the Pemberton corridor, that I am listening to you all and appreciate your input. Please stay engaged and involved.

Sincerely,

Lisa A Marshall
Henrico County Public Schools
www.henrico.k12.va.us
School Board Member, Tuckahoe District